Technology learning opportunities for FIU faculty and staff are designed to help you perform key job tasks more efficiently and effectively. Three types of learning opportunities are available: public workshops, custom workshops, and online training.
Our public workshops are open to all faculty and OPS, USPS, and A&P employees.
Workshops are presented in convenient one - or two- hour sessions. These hands-on workshops are delivered in a computer training labs on the Modesto Maidique and Biscayne Bay campuses by expert instructors and provide meaningful interaction and individual assistance. Workshops are available on the following university-wide software applications and technologies:
- Microsoft Office
- Windows 7
- Blackboard (learning management system)
- SharePoint (scheduled by request)
- Adobe Connect (for online meetings or class sessions)
We also offer workshops on tools that help instructors achieve their objectives with students:
- Turnitin (instructor tool for plagiarism detection)
- Respondus (instructor quiz tool for face-to-face and online assessments)
- Study Mate and Study Mate Class (tools for instructor and student learning games creation)
Click here to search the training schedule and register for workshops.
We offer flexible workshop design and delivery to meet the needs of your department, program or workgroup.
- We can design custom workshops targeted to your specific work processes and learning needs, or bring one of our public workshops to your facility.
- We can deliver your workshop in our training lab or in a computer lab in your building, convenient to your employees.
- All workshops are delivered by a professional from Media and Technology Support.
- A minimum of 6 participants is required to hold a custom workshop.
Is it difficult for you to fit instructor-led workshops into your schedule? Would you like to increase your software skills from your desk or anywhere else you have access to the Web? If you already have basic software skills, are comfortable on the Web, and are a self-starter, you may be a good candidate for several available e-learning options.
- Training from Microsoft.com
- Microsoft Training Home Page - Web-based courses for Microsoft Office are available on the public Web site at no charge.
- Software Assurance E-Learning - E-Learning courses available to FIU employees (based on FIU’s software license) that require a special access code.
NOTE: Employees who wish to access our Software Assurance E-Learning Benefit will need the FIU access code the first time they log into the Microsoft e-learning site. Contact Dr. Mary Haley at firstname.lastname@example.org for the code and instructions for accessing the e-learning.
- FIU e-Training
All faculty, staff and students have access to the Atomic Learning technology skills collection consisting of nearly 50,000 online tutorials on more than 200 software applications for both Macintosh and Windows. eTraining is available on the web 24 hours a day from campus or home and gives you instant answers to your “How do I do that?” questions. Each tutorial is from 1 – 3 minutes long, allowing you to learn “just what is needed, just when it is needed.” Closed captioning and tutorials in Spanish are also available. Access eTraining at http://etraining.fiu.edu.
Questions on training? E-mail us at email@example.com.
Want to discuss your custom workshop needs? E-mail Dr. Mary Haley, Assistant Director, Educational Technology Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.